This post is about what news can we look forward to, Royalty wise that is, in 2012?
First, the already announced Royal births.
In January the birth of the second child together of TRH Prince Joachim and Princess Marie of Denmark is expected. They have a son together, HH Prince Henrik, and Prince Joachim has 2 sons from his first mariage, TH Princes Nikolai and Felix. HRH The Duchess of Vendôme, Princess Philomena, will give birth to her and the Duke’s second child in January. The couple are already parents to a son, HRH Prince Gaston. HH The Emir of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rachid, and his second wife née HRH Princess Haya bint Hussein of Jordan, are expecting their second child together. They already have a daughter, HH Sheikha Al Jalila and Sheikh Mohammed has many more kids. The first child of TRH the Duke and Duchess of Anjou, Prince Charles-Philippe and Princess Diana of Orléans, Duchess of Cadaval, is expected in February. In March, the long awaited future heir to the throne of Sweden is expected. TRH Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel are expecting their first child. Peter and Autumn Phillips, the son and daughter-in-law of HRH the Princess Royal, expect their second child and the Queens second great-grandchild in March. The couple already have a daughter named Savannah. In May the birth of the first child together of TRH the Duke and Duchess of Parma, Prince Carlos and Princess Annemarie of Bourbon-Parma, is expected. The Duke has a legally unrecognized son with Brigitte Klynstra, who was named after him.
Then, the Royal jubilees.
HM Queen Margrethe of Denmark will celebrate her 40th jubilee as Queen of Denmark on 14 January 2012. The events will start on 13 January and will end with a banquet on 15 January. HM Queen Margrethe and HRH Prince Henrik will also celebrate their 45 year wedding anniversary on 10 June.
HM Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great-Brittain and Northern-Ireland, generally shortened to The Queen, will celebrate her Diamond Jubilee on 6 February 2012. The marking of the 60th anniversary of the accession of Queen Elizabeth to the throne will be celebrated throughout 2012.
HH Infanta Maria Adelaide of Portugal celebrates her 100th birthday on 31 January 2012.
Princess Astrid of Norway will turn 80 on 12 February.
Princess Birgitta of Sweden and of Hohenzollern celebrates her 75th birthday of 19 January. King Harald of Norway will turn 75 on 21 February. His wife, Queen Sonja, will celebrate her 75th birthday on 4 July. Queen Paola of the Belgians will celebrate her 75th birthday on 11 September.
HRH Princess Irene of Greece and Denmark celebrates her 70th birthday on May 11.
HM King Abdullah bin Hussein of Jordan will turn 50 on 30 January. HIRH Princess Astrid of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este, will celebrate her 50th birthday on 5 June.
Both HRH Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, and HRH the Princess of Asturias will celebrate their 40th birthday in 2012, respectively 5 February and 15 September. Also celebrating their 40th birthday are HSH Prince Constantin of Liechtenstein (15 March), HH Prince Pieter-Christiaan of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven, (22 March), HH Princess Annette of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven (18 April), HRH Prince Emanuele Filiberto of Savoy, Prince of Venice and Piedmont (22 June), HRH Princess Margarita of Bourbon-Parma, Countess of Colorno and her twin brother, HRH Prince Jaime of Bourbon-Parma, Count of Bardi (13 October).
The Duchess of Cambridge will celebrate her 30th birthday on 9 January, while her husband, The Duke of Cambridge, celebrates his 30th birthday on 21 June. Prince François of Orléans will celebrate his 30th birthday on 10 February. Princess Madeleine of Sweden, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, celebrates her 30th birthday on 10 June.
HSH Princess Marie-Astrid of Liechtenstein, youngest daughter of HSH Prince Nikolaus and HRH Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein, née Princess of Luxembourg, Princess of Nassau and Princess of Bourbon-Parma, will celebrate her 25th birthday on 26 June.
Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg, Princess of Nassau, Princess of Bourbon-Parma, the only daughter of TRH Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Theresa, will celebrate her 21st birthday on 16 February.
HRH Prince Sébastien of Luxembourg, Prince of Nassau, Prince of Bourbon-Parma, youngest child of TRH Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Theresa, celebrates his 20th birthday on 16 April. HRH Prince Carl-Johan of Nassau, youngest son of HRH Prince Jean of Luxembourg, Prince of Nassau and Prince of Bourbon-Parma, and of his former wife, Hélène Vestur, will celebrate his 20th birthday on 15 August. On 23 December, HRH Princess Marie Gabrielle of Bourbon-Parma, celebrates her 20th birthday.
HRH Crown Prince Hussein bin Abdullah of Jordan, the oldest child of the King and Queen of Jordan, will celebrate his 18th birthday on 28 June and HIRH Archduchess Gabrielle of Austria, youngest daughter of TIRH Archduke Carl Christian and Archduchess Marie-Astrid of Austria, née Princess of Luxembourg, Princess of Nassau and Princess of Bourbon-Parma, will celebrate her 18th birthday on 26 March.
HM King Juan Carlos of Spain and his wife, née HRH Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark, will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary on 14 May.
TRH The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Prince Richard and Birgitte, Princess Richard of Great-Britain, will celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary on 8 July.
HIRH Archduke Carl Christian of Austria and his wife, née Princess Marie Astrid of Luxembourg, celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary on 6 February, while the sister of the Princess, HRH Princess Margaretha of Luxembourg and her husband, HSH Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein, celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary on 20 March.
HRH the Princess Royal, The Princess Anne of Great-Brittain, and Sir Timothy Laurence will celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary on 12 December. Timothy and Lady Helen Taylor née Windsor will celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary on 18 July.
HM King Mohammed and HRH Princess Lalla Salma of Morocco are celebrating their 10th wedding anniversary (Zifaf, Nikah took place on 12 October 2001) on 21 March, while TRH the Prince and Princess of Orange celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary on 2 February, Princess Martha Louise of Norway and Ari Behn celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary on 24 May, and HRH Princess Kalina of Bulgaria and Kitín Muñoz will celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary on 26 October.
2012 also brings us several Royal 5th birthdays. To name a few:
* 28 February: HRH Princess Lalla Khadija of Morocco, daughter of King Mohammed and Princess Lalla Salma.
* 5 March: HRH Princess Eugénie of Bourbon aka Doña Eugenia de Borbón y Vargas, daughter of TRH The Duke and Duchess of Anjou.
* 7 March: HRH Prince Abdul Muntaqim of Brunei, son of TRH Crown Prince Billah and Princess Sarah.
* 19 March: HRH Prince Abdullah bin Ali bin Hussein of Jordan, son of TRH Prince Ali bin Hussein and Princess Rym Ali.
* 10 April: HRH Princess Ariane of the Netherlands, youngest daughter of TRH The Prince and Princess of Orange.
* 19 April: HRH Prince Lerotholi of Lesotho, son of The King and Queen.
* 19 April: HRH Princess Haya bint Hamzah bin Hussein of Jordan, daughter of HRH Prince Hamzah bin Hussein and of his former wife, HRH Princess Noor bint Asem of Jordan.
* 21 April: HRH Princess Isabella of Denmark, Countess of Monpezat, oldest daughter and second child of TRH Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary.
* 27 April: HRH Prince Jaafar bin Ali bin Nayef of Jordan, son of TRH Prince Ali bin Nayef and Princess Reema Ali.
* 29 April: HRH Infanta Sofía of Spain, youngest daughter of The Prince and Princess of Asturias.
* 4 June: HIRH Archduke Constantin of Austria, second son of Archduke Maximilian and Archduchess Maya
* 13 June: HRH Prince Leopold of Bavaria, son of Prince Manuel and Princess Anna, née Princess of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg,
* 25 August: Emma van Vollenhoven, daughter of TH Prince Pieter-Christiaan and Princess Anita of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven.
* 21 September: HRH Prince Noah of Nassau, second son of TRH Prince Louis and Princess Tessy of Luxembourg.
* 9 October: Magali van Vollenhoven, oldest daughter of TH Prince Floris and Princess Aimée of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven.
* 2 December: HH Sheikha Al Jalila Bint Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum of Dubai, daughter of HH the Emir of Dubai and of his wife, née HRH Princess Haya bint Hussein of Jordan.
* 4 December: HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Mansour bin Zayed Al-Nahayan of Abu Dhabi, son of HH Sheik Mansour bin Zayed Al-Nahayan and of his wife, née HH Sheika Manal bint Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum of Dubai.
* 17 December: Viscount Severn aka HRH Prince James of Wessex, son of TRH The Earl and Countess of Wessex, The Prince Edward and Sophie, Princess Edward of Great-Britain.
2012 also brings us several Royal 10th birthdays. To name a few:
* 4 January: HIRH Archduke Constantin of Austria, third child and first son of TIRH Archduke Alexander and Archduchess Marie Gabriele, née Countess of Waldstein.
* 20 January: HRH Prince Tassilo of Bulgaria, third child and only son of HRH Prince Kyrill, Prince of Preslav, and his former wife, HRH Princess Rosario.
* 22 January: HIRH Archduke Jacob-Maximilian of Austria, first child of Archduke Ferdinand and Archduchess Katharina, née Countess of Hardenberg.
* 25 January: Elisabeth von Lattorff, second child and first daughter of HSH Princess Tatjana of Liechtenstein and Philipp von Lattorf.
* 17 February: Count Nicolo Secco d'Aragona, second son of HIRH Archduchess Catharina of Austria and Count Massimiliano Secco d'Aragona.
* 24 February: Arietta Morales, first child of HRH Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark and Carlos Morales.
* 18 March: HRH Prince Frederik of Nassau, second son and third child of HRH Prince Robert of Luxembourg and of his wife, HRH Princess Julie of Nassau.
30 April: HE Don Miguel Urdangarin, third son of HRH Infanta Christina of Spain, Duchess of Palma de Majorca, and HE Don Iñaki Urdangarin, Duke of of Palma de Majorca.
* 14 May: Isabella van Vollenhoven, oldest child of TH Prince Bernhard and Princess Annette of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven.
* 18 May: HGDH Prince Leopold of baden, first son of TRH Hereditary Prince Bernhard and Hereditary Princess Stephanie.
* 3 June: HRH Prince Tirso of Bulgaria, 3rd son of RH rince Kubrat and Princess Carla, Prince and Princess of Panagyurishte
* 6 June: HIRH Archduchess Ildik of Austria, second daughter of TIRH Archduke Georg and Archduchess Eilika, née Duchess of Oldenburg.
* 10 June: High Born Countess Eloise of Orange-Nassau, oldest daughter of TRH Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands.
* 13 June: HH Duke Kirill of Oldenburg, first child of TH Duke Paul and Duchess Maria del Pilar.
* 22 July: HH Prince Felix of Denmark, second son of HRH Prince Joachim and of his former wife, HE Countess Alexandra of Frederiksborg, née Manley.
* HRH Young Crown Prince Hridayendra Bir Bikram Shah Dev of Nepal,2nd child and only son of Crown Prince Paras and Crown Princess Himani, née Princess of Sikar.
* 26 October: Lucas van Lippe-Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven, second child and first son of TH Prince Maurits and Princess Marilène of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven.
And finally, the 16th birthdays:
* 25 March: HRH infante Afonso of Portugal, Prince of Beira, son of TRH the Duke and Duchess of Bragança, Dom Duarte Pio and Dona Isabel of Portugal.
* 25 July: HRH Princess Maria Olympia of Greece and Denmark, daughter of TRH Crown Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie-Chantal.
* 27 September: HRH Princess Iman bint Abdullah of Jordan, daughter of TM King Abdullah bin Al Hussein and Queen Rania Al Abdullah.
* 17 October: HSH Princess Marie-Caroline of Liechtenstein, daughter of HSH Hereditary Prince Alois and HRH Hereditary Princess Sophie, née Princess of Bavaria and Duchess in Bavaria.
Other major events
The Olympic Games 2012 will take place in London. The British Royal Court has announced that The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry have become official Team GB and Paralympics GB 2012 Ambassadors in the lead up to, and during, the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. We can also expect to see many more members of the (extended) British Royal family attending events related to the Olympic Games.
And who knows, what other Royal events 2012 will give us.
Let me know what Royal event you are most looking forward to by replying to this post